Consulting Engineer – Europe
Location: Europe (any location)
Data stream processing is redefining what’s possible in the world of data-driven applications and services. Apache Flink is one of the systems at the forefront of this development, pushing the boundaries of what can be achieved with data stream processing.
Apache Flink currently powers some of the largest data stream processing pipelines in the world, with users such as Alibaba, Uber, ING, Netflix, and more running Flink in production. Flink is also one of the most active and fastest-growing open source projects in the Apache Software Foundation.
Ververica was founded in 2014 by the original creators of the Apache Flink project, and we’re building the next-generation platform for real-time data applications. We are tackling some of today’s biggest challenges in big data and data streaming.
Ververica is currently building a new team of Consulting Engineers in Europe and the US. You’ll be part of a new and fast-growing team helping customers having a great experience using our products and Apache Flink. The role will sit at the forefront of one of the most significant paradigm shifts in information processing and real-time architectures in recent history – stream processing – which sets the foundation to transform companies and industries for the on-demand services era.
You will work with engineering teams inside of our customers to build the best possible stream processing architecture for their use cases. This includes reviewing their architecture, giving guidance on how they design their Flink applications, and helping them take their first steps with our products.
Some of the customer engagements will be carried out remotely via phone and screen share, but the position also includes traveling to customers to help them onsite.
And when you’re not working with our customers, there are plenty of opportunities at Ververica to learn more about Flink, contribute to the products and open source projects, and help evangelizing Apache Flink to users around the world.
This position will report to the Regional/Global Director of Customer Success.
As a Consulting Engineer, you’ll get to do the following:
- Working with our customer’s engineering teams, you’ll lead and contribute to all phases of the Apache Flink / Ververica Platform implementation within their projects.
- Act as the Technical Subject Matter expert for short to long-term consulting engagements where you’ll write code, provide expert advice and guidance, train and educate, and help prepare deployments for production rollout.
- Develop solution architectures that address the technical requirements of our customer’s projects.
- Design and build prototype solutions that demonstrate required functionality with Apache Flink / Ververica Platform.
- Help prepare solution proposals for our customer’s engineering and management teams that help address the overall project goals.
To be successful, you’ll want to have the following skills, experience, ability, and character:
- Minimum of 3+ years of experience designing and developing enterprise class applications.
- Extensive experience with database technologies and data modeling concepts, preferably with one of the leading Streaming / Big Data Database / Analytics Vendors
- Extensive hands-on experience developing, debugging and deploying data-intensive applications as well as web applications in Java
- Previous experience with complex, customer-facing projects including agile software development projects
- Hands-on experience working with Kubernetes or any other Resource Manager (YARN, Mesos)
- Hands-on experience building and maintaining CI/CD infrastructure
- Comfortable and quick with learning new technologies and development languages as needed
- Experience with complex data analysis, data migrations, and system integration, strong object-oriented programming skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently or within a team environment
- Passion for sharing own experiences and training small groups
It will be a plus to have:
- Industry vertical experience in Financial Services or High Tech
- Stream Processing related experience i.e. Apache Flink, Apache Kafka, Apache Samza, Apache Storm, Apache Spark
- Familiarity with major databases
- Familiarity with Python and Scala
- Bachelor Degree required
- Ability to work independently, self-directed and remotely in a cross functional organization
- 5+ years working in a consultative capacity in a Professional Services Organization
- Able to travel >50% of the time
What we offer
- Competitive salary
- International team environment (10 nationalities so far)
- Flexible working arrangements (home office, flexible working hours)
- Unlimited vacation policy, so take time off when you need it