Data stream processing is redefining what’s possible in the world of data-driven applications and services. Ververica with its Platform product and its major contributions to open-source Apache Flink is at the forefront of this development.
Our teams are pushing the boundaries of what can be achieved with data stream processing, allowing our users and customers to gain more insights into their data in real-time.
Apache Flink currently powers some of the largest data stream processing pipelines in the world, with users such as Alibaba, Uber, ING, Netflix, and more running Flink in production.
Ververica was founded in 2014 by the original creators of the Apache Flink project, and we’re building the next-generation platform for real-time data applications.
We are looking for passionate software developers that enjoy solving challenging problems and are excited about open source, helping us build world-class data streaming technology.
As a software engineer at Ververica, you will take a dual role: being involved in both the open source Apache Flink project, as well as Ververica products. You should be comfortable with taking responsibility for designs and features, and be able to work both self-supervised and in cross-functional teams. As a citizen of the Flink open source community, you will be in direct touch with Flink users and participate in the day-to-day open source work. We also encourage engineers to talk publicly about their work at conferences, meetups, and via blog posts.
What you’ll do all day…
- You will be part of a cross-functional team of backend and frontend engineers as well as a product manager to build our commercial Ververica Platform product offering. Our platform enables customers to run mission-critical Apache Flink applications with ease and confidence.
- You will design and implement distributed services that help users to manage Apache Flink applications and integrate with other products in the larger data processing ecosystem. Your focus will be on high quality code that enables existing and future customers to solve real-world problems. We mostly work in Java for our backend systems, however we believe that languages can be learned. Therefore, we care more about your overall engineering skills than about knowledge of a particular Java.
- You will contribute to both our commercial distribution of Apache Flink as well as open source Flink. While our team is focused on the commercial product we see ourselves as part of the larger Apache Flink community and regularly contribute code and participate in discussions and designs. Our goal is to drive overall Flink adoption at enterprises of all sizes. As part of our team, you will be in a unique position to combine experience from real-world use cases with the opportunity to contribute to Flink.
- You will troubleshoot issues and debug problems in a modern technical stack that includes containerized services running on Kubernetes as well as integrations with open source systems such as Apache Flink.
You will love this job if you …
- ...have good knowledge of Java and the JVM or are motivated to learn it if your prior experience is in another major programming language (e.g. Scala, Go, C++, Python).
- Experience with Java web applications or Apache Flink is a plus
- ...enjoy software engineering best practices such as clean code and code reviews.
- ...appreciate simple, robust, and elegant service and system designs as well as APIs.
- ...like to work with open source technologies such as Apache Flink or Kubernetes.
- Understanding of one or more of the following areas is a plus: distributed systems, database systems, performance optimization
- ...are a self-starter who can get things done and who enjoys working collaboratively in all phases of your work, from designing and implementing to reviewing.
You will have an edge if you …
- ...have worked with or contributed to large-scale data processing systems before
- … have a good knowledge of Java (Scala is a plus)
- … have an aptitude for simple, robust, and elegant designs, including how to design appealing APIs and libraries
- … have experience in working collaboratively on large code bases is a plus
What we offer …
- Competitive salary
- Great career opportunities in a world-class team with peers from top-companies, universities and research institutes.
- International team environment (10 nationalities so far)
- Snacks, coffee and beverages in the office
- Relocation assistance if needed
- Chinese classes in the office